Red Mangrove Galapagos & Ecuador Lodges is proud to lead the Galapagos Green Initiative by example with the following improvements
Red Mangrove Galapagos & Ecuador Lodges is helping conserve and recycle water by:
- Being the first hotel in Galapagos to have an onsite filtration system for drinking water so there is no reliance on imported bottled water.
- Being one of the only hotels in Galapagos to utilize a black water treatment plant to recycle water
- Adding new, environmentally friendly, low water, soap and electrical usage washers and dryers.
Red Mangrove Galapagos & Ecuador Lodges is doing its part to conserve the environment around them by:
- Replacing our backup generators with more efficient 50KVA automatic generators (Installation due end of Oct 2009)
- Purchasing new Low Environmental Impact 4 Stroke motors on Solmar, our inter island transport boat.
Red Mangrove Galapagos Lodges is not only commited to the environment but also to our clients and we are proud to announce the following additions:
- 2 Additional rooms added to the Aventura Lodge
- Expansion of our service facilities to provide better service.
- Purchase of new Scuba Diving equipment and Safety equipment.
Green Red Mangrove
We at Red Mangrove Galapagos & Ecuador Lodges know how privileged we are to be global guardians of our share of one of the most unique and fragile ecosystems on earth. In our first year we have implemented many 'green' changes to our Aventura Lodge and constructed our new lodges on Isabela and Floreana with a sustainable philosophy from the ground up. The Galapagos are not only unique, but one of the few destinations on earth where enlightened guests do not have to give up amenities or adventure in order to be in harmony with our responsible philosophies.
We are in perpetual motion to propel our entire operation into harmony with our surroundings.
The following are a few of our efforts:
- Energy saving efforts include towel and sheet programs, voluntary carbon-offsetting contributions and many more.
- Creating opportunity for local residents through employment, education (English and business classes, etc) and by sponsoring opportunities for local residents such as Naturalist Guide certification, etc.
- We inform and encourage our visitors and employees to adhere to both the Park Rules and Red Mangrove conservation measures.
- Drastic reduction of paper use by creating permanent laminated welcome letters, hotel information, park regulations and environmental education issues for guests; by turning our administrative offices into practically a paperless operation printing only when absolutely necessary and by using only glass storage for sugar, cloth napkins, etc in our restaurants.
- Off-grid energy at our Floreana Lodge.
- Use only biodegradable/natural/recyclable products, including our cleaning products and biodegradable plastic bags.
- Use of organic repellents, organic bulk shampoo and other products from the Ecuador Amazon.
- Paper, not styrofoam, plates on excursions (paper plates are not common in Ecuador and too many still use readily available styrofoam).
- Coastal cleaning sponsorship with Ecuadorian Maritime authorities. On a daily basis, our guides and employees always pick up all garbage, not only from our guests, but also any found in areas visited.
- We protect animals on our premises.
- Our land-based programs use less fuel on short trips than a constantly idling or motoring cruise would. We provide our guests with free bicycle usage at our Aventura Lodge, thus conserving fuel through reduced taxi usage in Puerto Ayora.
- Constantly implementing new efforts towards our goal of a negative carbon footprint.