I recently had the opportunity to chat with Bolivar, a tour leader at Red Mangrove Galapagos Lodges. He shares some of his experiences, tips and his favorite places in the Galapagos Islands.
Bolivar: My full name is Bolivar Oswaldo Vega Moncayo. I’m engaged (UPDATE: on January 7, 2012 I married Monica on the beach) and currently live in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz – where I was born. I have traveled throughout Ecuador (including Quito and Guayaquil) and Chile (Viña del Mar).
I speak English and Spanish.
I have been at Red Mangrove since June 2011 and I am a Tour Leader. Before working with Red Mangrove, I worked with other Galapagos tour operations, including sailing boats.
I have been in all the islands and islets, there are only two left for me to explore and these are: Marchena and Pinta.
Bryan: What are some of your favorite places and animals in the Galapagos?
Bolivar: Here are some of my favorites in the Galapagos.
- What is your favorite island? Santa Cruz Island
- Favorite beach: My favorite beach is Tortuga Bay.
- Favorite Red Mangrove Tour: I love the program Full Adventure in Galapagos
- What is your favorite land animal? Galapagos Hawk
- What is your favorite marine animal? Octopus
- What is your favorite excursion? Tuneles in Isabela
- What is your favorite diving location? North Seymour
- What is your favorite place to snorkel? Leon Dormido, San Cristobal
Bryan: What is your best Galapagos experience?
Bolivar: On land hikes along the islands, explore the different trails set by the National Park, hike to the Volcan Chico area.
Bryan: What advice would you like to give to guests as they plan their trip? As they pack and travel in the Galapagos?
- As you pack: Travel light, and always make sure to bring personal items on a hand bag just in case international airline miss the checked luggage. It is not common but sometimes happens.
- As you are traveling in the Galapagos: Always bring a bottle of water along during the trip.