Drew Haines is a young Canadian expat living in Ecuador. She writes the Galapagos for Kids series on Red Mangrove Blog. Learn about the Galapagos from a kids perspective.
When we went to the Galapagos, I loved it all: the boats, the food, the people and the Lodge. But there were a few things I wish I did differently. Here are a few tips on how to make your Galapagos trip even better!
- Bring a small toy. Bring a small toy because if you bring a big one you might get very tired of carrying it. But if you have a little one you can just stick it in your backpack or in your pocket. On my first trip, I brought my huge (it got bigger as the trip went on) doll. It was nice at first, but by the end of the trip I was wishing I had brought a much smaller one.
- Drink bottled water. Drink bottled water, because the tap water in Galapagos could make you sick. And that could ruin the trip, right? Our tour leaders always had lots of water for us on the excursions.
- Bring sandals & sneakers. Bring both sandals and sneakers because you will be on the beach, but you will also be hiking, possibly even up a volcano. And you’ll want some good hiking sneakers for that!
- Put on sunblock everyday. Put sunblock on every day because the sun is strong on the equator. You can even get burnt when it’s cloudy!
- Bring a bottle of water with you everywhere. Bring water with you all the time so that when you’re hiking you won’t have to wait to have a drink. It doesn’t feel good to be thirsty and not be able to drink!
- Bring your own camera (if you have one). Bring your own camera (or save up and get one) because there are tons of things you will want to remember! Don’t forget to take videos!
- Bring a sketch book! There are lots of cool animals! If you’re in to sketching, this is the place to be! Or you could bring a notebook and keep track of all the animals you see. How many sea lions will you see? Or marine iguanas?
Follow these seven tips which will make your Galapagos trip more interesting and fun!
Do you have a travel tip to share? Please add it below in the comments!